The Thornborough and Coombs Woodland Enterprise Trust was established in 2015 to preserve and enhance 168 acres of green space within Thornborough parish, near Buckingham, known as Thornborough Community Woodlands and Coombs Quarry.
The woodlands and quarry are very popular with the local community. The area is fully enclosed and separated from main roads and farmland by clear boundaries to provide many well signposted walking routes, which makes it a large open space that is unusually safe, particularly for dogs and children.
For more information, please visit their website by clicking the logo above or this link: Thornborough and Coombs Woodlands Enterprise Trust
Thornborough and Coombs Woodlands Enterprise Trust have an entry on the Vale Lottery website.
Vale Lottery was created in 2015 by Aylesbury Vale District Council to support community projects in the local area. The Vale Lottery operates on the principle of raising money within the community, for the community. They empower local good causes to raise money in a fun and effective way.
A ticket for the Vale Lottery costs £1 per week and 58p will go directly to good causes!
You can access our page by clicking the logo above or using this link: Thornborough & Coombs Woodland Enterprise Trust Vale Lottery page
Things To Do at the Woodland
- Take a walk, explore the many trails and discover orchards, pine forest, meadowland, hidden ponds and rare plants. There is also a river walk, connecting the site to Thornborough village.
- Bring a picnic, find a picnic table and enjoy the peace and quiet.
- Come and spot wildlife – we have resident deer, otters and many species of birds. We also have grazing cattle and sheep at certain times of the year – they help us to maintain the grassland.
- Plan a visit to the quarry, which was used until about the end of the 1890s for the extraction of building stone and rock for lime burning. Kilns have been on site since Roman times and it is reputed to have the best example of Blisworth limestone in the area.
- Bring your dog – dogs are very welcome but do please be aware of other visitors and our resident wildlife population.
Get In Touch And Get Involved
If you would like to be involved in any way with the maintenance of the woodland, either by volunteering time or expertise or through becoming a member or just making a donation you can get in touch:
Thornborough & Coombs Woodland Enterprise Trust
The Maltings Bridge Street